Application: van_zant

What game are you applying for?
Crowfall

What is your character name?
Van_Zant

Why do you want to join UDL?
I posted what I was looking for in the Looking for Guild post on the Crowfall official forums - Ginko reached out via PM mentioning I might be a good fit. Pretty sure I vaguely remember hearing the name Undead Lords way back when (Shadowbane), but I definitely like anything that purports to support Myrkul (Kelemvor the Usurper!).

How did you find out about our guild?
Most definitively via the PM from Ginko.

Describe your past MMO experiences
My gaming history goes back to Atari… so let’s focus on the salient bits.
First MMO: UO (banned thanks to some sassy chatting my little brother and his friend got up to on my account. Same day I learned about the security principle of NOT WRITING ANYTHING DOWN).
First PvP-centric MMO: Shadowbane. I loved the holistic storytelling that took place in a world where there was no overarching ‘story’ or ‘quest’ (lots of lore though) and folks were free to support, ally, or abuse each other.
Lately: I’ve mostly stuck to non-MMO fare over the last few years as my job was all consuming and effectively 24x7x365 oncall which made coordination for playtime difficult with the exception of…
… (and this ties into guild history): Getting sucked back into the WoW vortex with the release of BFA. I hadn’t played since Burning Crusade and something about finally getting back to Alliance v. Horde made me want to play.
As with my initial foray into WoW - I went from off-the-street application to Officer, to Raid Leader. In both cases IRL responsibility eventually led me to step down and both guilds eventually flamed out to internecine struggles.

I have not previously been a part of game transcending guilds which carry over from game to game (as UDL’s history indicates), so this is a compellingly new experience for me.

Do you have anything to prove you are an exceptional gamer?
I would say most of my exceptional gaming took place outside of PvP environments and I am normally adverse to documenting anything (see previous notes about lessons learned in security).

What I will say is I have a knack for communication and being mildly entertaining which, when combined with my general quick grasp of mechanics, makes for an exceptional gaming partner.

Do you have a member of UDL who can vouch for you?

What is your preferred play style?
PvP - Small Scale: true
PvP - Large Scale: true
Crafting/Gathering:
Questing/Raiding: true

Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m in the twilight of my thirties which I actually don’t find distressing (normally, COVID is… more distressing). I live in SoCal with my wife and (very) tiny dog, who I will post pictures of (the dog, not the wife). I’m very tall, so if you need anything from the top shelf, I’m your man.

I have a variety of interests, but I spent so much of my youth pouring over all the Forgotten Realms novels (of various quality…) so to find a guild that actually bases some part of their identity in that is… kismet.

Which is your strongest pillar? Which is your weakest?
Professionalism. I’ve always been able to engage with people (even the difficult ones) to get things accomplished and bridge the gaps between strong personalities to commonality.

Got him taken care of