Application for Conqueror's Blade- Necroscope

Agrylath

1. Why do you want to join UDL? (Minimum: 1 paragraph)

I want to join UDL because, quite simply, the guild consists of a great group of players that are just fun to interact and game with. From the fighting against you guys back on Seige Perilous to raiding Molten Core with you all in WoW and dominating the center island on Shadowbane with you; every interaction in every game whether allied or enemies has been a blast. I want to be a part of a stable guild that will be around for future games but mostly I want to join because you folks are just plain fun to play alongside.

2. What is your character name, and what does it mean to you?

The handle Necroscope is from a book series of the same name by Brian Lumley. It started way back when I was making my first character for the original Diablo and I was trying to think of a name. I was reading The Necroscope at the time and when I asked for suggestions for a name my dad looked over at the book and said "How about Necroscope" and it stuck. I made a mage named Necroscope and that became my handle. Now 25 or so years later and it is still there. It has been my handle for so long it is just another name for me. It brings back a lot of memory of gaming and nerding it up.

3. How did you find out about our guild? Do you have a member of UDL who can vouch for you?

I have gamed with you guys for decades, mostly allies but occasionally as opponents (though that was the Ultima Online days so it was awhile back). I found out about you guys in 1998-99 maybe. I forget when Seige came out but it was back when I was in Shadowclan so it was a hot minute ago. The only time I was actually on the UDL tag was in Darkfall as Agrylath but I did not end up playing that game for long. As to members my real life buddy Syrric is a Knight and he is the one who encouraged me to download this game and finally put in an app.

4. When do you usually play? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? What country/timezone do you live in?

Currently I am playing at least a little bit every day. Sunday is Dungeons and Dragons all afternoon most weekends but I play most afternoons other than Sunday and evenings for an hour or two usually.

5. Describe your past MMO experiences. What is your guild history?

Started in Diablo untagged. Seige Perilous we started off in Shadowclan but after an in character fight with the leadership there we revolted and formed our own Orc RP guild named Urk (Syrric, Civid, and Myself) we warred with SC and sometimes with UDL as well. After UO I played Shadowbane. The guild that Syrric, Civid and I ran (Ragara Mercenary Company) joined up with the center island alliance and we all dominated that game pretty soundly. Our city was known for its merchants and great vendors. Then there was World of Warcraft. Syrric and I were in The Balance and we used to raid Molten Core with you guys. Kanien and Donar even helped me get my Thunderfury even though our tanks slightly hated me for getting it first! After Shadowbane a lot of the games were hit and miss. The next one that really had potential I thought was Darkfall but though I tried to love that game and I played it off and on for quite a bit I never quite fell in love with it like I had some previous games. It was always a fight to want to log on so after several months of trying to love it I ended up leaving and not coming back. After that I did not bother with the MMO style games sticking to shooters like Tribes Ascend for awhile until Syrric clued me in to Conqueror's Blade a couple weeks ago. Now I am back on the MMO train and having a blast!

6. Tell us a little about yourself. Age? Likes and dislikes? Anything at all you'd like to share. Here is your chance to set yourself apart from other applicants. (Minimum: 1 paragraph)

Gonna be 39 in October. I am nerdy as all hell, in addition to video games such as this I also do roleplaying games such as Dungeons and Dragons and Vampire the Masquerade. Hell I even play a zombie camping LARP named Dystopia Rising when I have the spare cash. Basically we go camping for a weekend and fight zombies and monsters with foam weapons while dressing for a dystopian post apocalyptic future setting. As to dislikes I am pretty laid back and most of my dislikes end up in political conversations which I pretty much just try to avoid when gaming. Gaming is supposed to be an escape from real life and the things about it I dislike,so why bring it up when it is time for fun? I also dislike people who do not understand that to capture a flag you have to actually stand on the point, not twenty yards away plinking arrows at the people actually contributing to the match. Those people are lame. Lameness honorary mention: Groups who think the best option for pushing points is 6 units of archers and nothing else.

7. What is your preferred play style? PvP, crafting, gathering, or any combination of these?

Definitely PvP. The thing that has kept me away from MMOs for awhile has been the tendency to have mindless grinding to be competitive and gear up for the "real content" like PvP. Crafting and gathering are alright in small doses but for me I want it to be 80-90% PvP with crafting/gathering filling out the rest.

8. What excites you the most about the game you are applying for?

So far they have done a really good job of incorporating the grindy aspects into doing the fun part of the game. Instead of fighting boring monsters to get cash and gear you get it from fighting players and doing battles, which are actually fun. Mostly the grinding does not feel like an annoying thing that you must do to not suck rather it kind of happens on its own while you are playing and having fun. The last game I felt was really successful at this was Ultima Online so it has been awhile.

9. Based on the document you were directed to read, "Being an Undead Lord", which is your strongest pillar? Which is your weakest?

While all of the pillars are important and good general rules to live by I think my strengths are definitely loyalty and respect. I have always been a respectful person and loyalty is the most important trait to me by far. It has always been important to me my friends and I used to joke around back in high school about being a wolf pack. I think loyalty is the key to good relationships with other people and especially key to trust. Trust is important and without demonstrations of loyalty how would you even know who you can trust? I try to embody this because it is important to me and so to avoid hypocrisy I have to be the kind of guy I would want to be friends with. Respect ties into this as well.

As for my weakest pillar I would say it would probably be professionalism. While the second two components are easy for me: I am drama free by nature and I do treat others the way I want to be treated... thing is I am kind of a weirdo so how I want to be treated is a little different from how many people want to be treated and sometimes this causes people some distress. For example I am the opposite of the non confrontational passive aggressive type. I will not snipe at someone and pick at them or play games I am much more likely to approach them and ask what their problem with me is and how we can fix it. While I personally like being treated this way I have found that some people would rather avoid confrontation of any kind at all costs and do not like this direct approach that I prefer. Also my mouth does sometimes move faster than my brain. That said I actively work on improving this and it has been awhile since I let my mouth get me into trouble. When I say this is my weakest pillar I am still pretty darn good with it. These things are all things I actively put effort into in my day to day life. Playing it out in the game and forums should be pretty easy.

Last edited: