All The Games To Come - Scree

Scree

1. Why do you want to join UDL? (Minimum: 1 paragraph)
I’ve been watching for the last few years now how UDL handles itself, its members, and how it engages in the games it plays. In all public facing aspects, UDL shines professionalism and maturity that are rare in the online community. At the same time, I’ve noted instances where they hold back nothing when criticizing their own. It all comes from a place of loyalty and wanting to pull people up to the next level, not drag them down.
I like the call-it-as-you-see-it attitude. I like holding people accountable and expecting the best. I like the willingness to pass on people who don’t live up to an ideal. I want to be part of an organization that lives up to these ideals.

2. What is your character name, and what does it mean to you?
I’ve gone by Scree for a very long time. Since the days of AOL and Neverwinter Nights. Though at the time it was actually a shorthand nickname for “Screelings”, derived from the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I took immediately to the creature who laughed as his opponents struck him with blow after blow. A terrifying image at the time of my reading it (when it was published in ‘95 I was only 13!).

3. How did you find out about our guild? Do you have a member of UDL who can vouch for you?
I’ve seen and heard of UDL back when I played Neverwinter Nights on AOL. It has stayed on the periphery of most games I’ve played. I kept track of most of the surviving NWN-era guilds as I journeyed across the gaming megaverse. It seemed fitting that I’d find my way to its steps so many years later.

In terms of vouching for me, I think I have several who would be willing at this point; Ginko and Panzer are probably most familiar with my exploits and personality. I’ve made several friends within the organization in my time around them (and admittedly some I’ve crossed paths with were less thrilled with their conversation with me).

4. When do you usually play? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable? What country/timezone do you live in?
With my Son, typically I’ll start playing around 8pm CST and go to midnight/1 if needed. These are going to be the most consistent of my playtimes throughout the week. Weekends are more difficult as my wife usually claims those for her own, but she’s a lightweight so if needed I can spike her drinks to get her to sleep if need be.

5. Describe your past MMO experiences. What is your guild history?
Starting back in Neverwinter Nights, I traveled with the Pirates of Neverwinter (PoN). I also made several friends and played around with the Spirit Lurkers for a time. Over the course of my travels, I’ve both created and helped lead a half dozen guilds. I spent considerable time with Shining Force in WoW, splitting off, and re-merging back depending on the expansion. The games I’ve played over the last 20 years are too numerous to warrant retelling but needless to say I’ve been around the block a few times.

I’d say the biggest highlights are my mix of both PvP extremes and PvE ones. I equally enjoy both. In PvP games, I tend to prefer small scale combat where skill is at its most impactful. I also love the political and meta-based (out of game work) gameplay elements of these titles.
In PvE games, I go a little nuts focusing on high-end raiding and tackling encounters that most people would run screaming from the room doing. I only do so when I’m in the company of excellent players, however, and if the player skill starts to decline, I usually exit back to a PvP title for comfort.

Most recently I founded a stealth-first Crowfall-only organization called Obsidian shortly after the Kickstarter. With my faith in that title floundering, I felt it best to rip off that band-aid now. I didn’t want to put all of my eggs in the proverbial Crowfall basket.

6. Tell us a little about yourself. Age? Likes and dislikes? Anything at all you'd like to share. Here is your chance to set yourself apart from other applicants. (Minimum: 1 paragraph)
I’m 37, with my first child about to turn 1 in December. I’m an avid drinker of Red Bull and Whiskey (never together). When I’m passionate about something, I tend to turn my hobbies to bear on it. Most recently I picked up and learned Javascript/Node.js (and Vue and RethinkDB and .. and … and.. etc.) to be able to create a fansite for Crowfall. Before that, I’d only dabbled in PHP over the previous 15 years. I don’t do it for a job, I’m not a professional, but I enjoy creating things that people will use for years to come. I try to tackle projects in my own different and unique approach to create something special.

7. What is your preferred play style? PvP, crafting, gathering, or any combination of these?
I’m a mix of all of them. I tend to avoid hardcore crafting and gathering aspects unless it's needed. My preferred playstyle is to win the battle before taking the field. Still, I realize that kind of victory would rob so many people of their glee in slaughtering their foes. I tend to avidly engage PvP games across all spectrums, including heavy use of meta spying and intel-gathering apparatuses. I’ll probably have to come clean one day about my Crowfall domination plans.

8. What excites you the most about the game you are applying for?
I’m not applying to play *a game* with UDL. I’m applying to play with UDL in *any* game as a member. Bring the person, not the game title.

9. Based on the document you were directed to read, "Being an Undead Lord", which is your strongest pillar? Which is your weakest?
My strongest pillar is probably Dedication. I am never satisfied with knowing “just enough” or relying on others to get an answer. If its something I’m going to play, I do it right. I learn the ins and out of my role and master it. Learning never stops for me; professionally, in my programming side projects, or in my off-hours gaming time.

My weakest is absolutely Professionalism. I’ve been known to argue, extensively, with anyone (including some UDL members). I am … honest (usually). I have no problem telling people what they did wrong, what they can do to improve, or why I don’t like something they did. I expect nothing less returned my way. As great as I am, I can always be better.